Desperate Dependency: Finding Christ Relevant to Every Area of Life
Desperate Dependency: Finding Christ Relevant to Every Area of Life serves as the foundation for the ministry of Desperately Dependent Community. Because we are desperate people we are dependent. Therefore, we need to find Christ relevant to every area of life. If we don’t find Christ relevant then we will devise God substitutes. Although we believe that our independence is noble it leads us away from our commitment to Christ.
Desperate Dependency summarizes the basic biblical teaching of what it means to be a follower of Christ. Christian discipleship calls us to establish a relationship with Jesus. Nothing in Christianity happens outside of a relationship. And without a connection to Christ we seek our own solutions to complete our lives. But God desires for us to grow into Christlikeness.
Will you be desperately dependent?
What difference is there in your life because you say you are a Christian? Have you realized that you cannot successfully live independently from Jesus? Have you discovered His divine enablement that produces personal empowerment? Christ wants to be relevant to every area of your life. Will you let Him? Will you be desperately dependent?
When you look around, and perhaps if you look within, you can easily find people who seem desperate as they depend on a variety of creative solutions to experience satisfaction and fill the void in their hearts. Unfortunately, even Christians fail to recognize God’s design of a relationship that is desperately dependent on Jesus to complete their lives.
Our heavenly Father has designed us for a relationship that is desperately dependent on Jesus. Only when we embrace this relationship will we find satisfaction and a way to fill the void in our hearts.
Why should I read Desperate Dependency?
Desperate Dependency identifies the deceptions we believe and points our searching souls to Christ, the only One who is relevant and sufficient to deal with the intricacies of life’s problems and pain. As we submit to His purpose of transforming us into the image of Christ, we will experience His promised fruit including love, joy, and peace.
Desperate Dependency challenges you to:
- Evaluate the means you seek to be complete.
- Understand that God’s design offers the only solution for experiencing fulfillment.
- Move into a transforming relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Embrace God’s design of living beyond yourself.
- Reorganize your life while finding Christ relevant to every area of living.
- Complete the Insight Journal designed to help you connect with God in a deeper way.
- Be guided through Psalms Prayer Patterns to communicate with God.
Biblical counseling model
The table of contents of Desperate Dependency offers a template for biblical counseling. We start with the premise that the problems of life exist because Christ is missing. But we don’t grasp how we work to keep Him out of our lives. Am I the problem?
Therefore, we must evaluate how we live dependently on God substitutes. My way isn’t working. Yet I keep making it all about me. I say I live enjoying the fruit of the Spirit, but am I really just offering counterfeits?
While I have an idea of God in mind, is my portrait of God accurate? I need to understand the truth about God. What is God’s job in my life? I wrestle with my way over His will. But I must resign the job of playing God in my own life. And as we work through the problem that Christ is missing we come to understand that Christ is the solution because He is relevant to every area of life.
It is only when we come to the solution that Christ is relevant to every area of life that our lives begin to change. We begin living in the truth while choosing to be desperately dependent. As we mature in that process we ultimately come to the reality that Christ is enough.
We have become desperately dependent
Desperate Dependency is not a compilation of our ideas that we asked God to bless, but rather it is a documentation of God’s working in our lives as we have realized our inability and God’s capabilities. We have struggled and prayed for God to work in us so that we might in turn share with you how He wants to work in your life. In conveying His heart to you we have become desperately dependent.
Excerpts from Desperate Dependency by J. Kirk & Melanie D. Lewis.
Table of Contents
Completing the Evaluation of Desperate Dependency is a great place to start!
PART 1: THE PROBLEM—CHRIST IS MISSING
1. What’s Missing?
2. Am I the Problem?
- The Fruit of the Spirit is Love
- The Fruit of the Spirit is Joy
- The Fruit of the Spirit is Peace
- The Fruit of the Spirit is Patience
3. My Way Isn’t Working
4. All about Me
5. My Portrait of God
PART 2: THE SOLUTION—CHRIST IS RELEVANT
6. The Truth about God
7. What Is God’s Job in My Life?
8. My Way or His Will?
- What Should A Christian Do When Angry?
- Psalm 145 Prayer Pattern of Desperate Dependency
- Anger Tree download
9. Resigning the God Job
- How to forgive by resigning the God job.
- Psalm 142 Prayer Pattern for when I am overwhelmed
- How Kirk found Christ relevant to forgiveness.
PART 3: THE APPLICATION—CHRIST IS ENOUGH
10. What Is My Job?
11. Living in the Truth
12. Choosing to Be Desperately Dependent
13. A Job for Job
Desperate Dependency Resources
Within Desperate Dependency: Finding Christ Relevant to Every Area of Life you will find several resources that are available to download for personal or corporate use.
- Evaluation of Desperate Dependency
- Fruit Chart
- The Blessed Man
- Bad Belief/Good God
- The Triangle Tool
- Anger Tree
If you are interested in obtaining copies of these please contact us.
Desperate Dependency Conferences
Contact us if you would like to bring a Desperate Dependency conference to your church or organization.
Please help us!
The internet changed the way people make decisions. Now we decide based on what others write in reviews. Please help others choose Desperate Dependency based on your reviews.
- Write a review of Desperate Dependency on Amazon.
- Leave a review of Desperate Dependency on Google Books.
- Scribe a review of Desperate Dependency on Goodreads.
- Compose a review of Desperate Dependency on our publishers’ website.
- Leave a review of Desperate Dependency on Apple Books.
- Create a review of Desperate Dependency at your favorite book retailer’s site or multiple sites!
- Or send an email to [email protected] and we may add your story to our Testimonies.